Thursday, September 10, 2009

Why I'm boycotting the iPod shuffle 3G

I have a 1GB iPod shuffle 2G ("second generation") that I have been using ever since it came out. I bought it as an upgrade of my 512 MB iPod shuffle 1G ("first generation"). The shuffle replaced various portable CD players that I had been fruitlessly attempting to use while at the gym.

I think the iPod shuffle 2G is pretty much the perfect device for listening to music during any kind of exercise, or during any other activity for which you cannot attend to the device itself. (When I'm out jogging on roads, I dare not take eyes off of oncoming traffic to fiddle with the controls of my music player.)

However, I really do think Apple got too carried away with the iPod shuffle 3G. It's smaller than the 2G model, but who cares? The 2G was an improvement on the size of the 1G (part of my motivation for upgrading), but the 2G is already plenty small enough.

But the 3G isn't really smaller than the 2G: Apple simply moved the button(s) off the device itself and onto the headphone cord. This causes other problems.

Firstly it wreaks havoc with the usability of the shuttle (the 2G passed my "can my mother figure it out?" test), as the control mechanism integrated into the cord is much more difficult to learn (you actually need a freakin' diagram to figure it out).

It also breaks compatibility with my existing headphones. Those ear buds they include with the shuffle are pretty much useless. I could barely get them to stay in my ears while just sitting down. For running or the gym (or merely standing up from a seated position!), forget it.

But that's only half the problem: the ear buds sound like crap. I ended up buying a nice set of Sennheiser PMX80 headphones, which both stay put and sound great. (I never imaged that the bass register could sound that good on those little headphones, especially after using the Apple ear buds, but Sennheiser made a believer out of me. My only complaint is that I had to buy the PMX80 to replace a set of PMX70 headphones, because the sheath of its green cord had disintegrated.)

So I'm not going to replace my headphones for the sake of upgrading to the 3G. Belkin does make an iPod 3G headphone adapter, so technically you can still use your existing headphones with the 3G. But if I need an adapter to use a shuffle 3G, then doesn't this just defeat the purpose of Apple having made the 3G model smaller? It's just more junk to have to remember to bring with me.

I'm not the only one who thinks the iPod shuffle 3G was badly designed. In fact, after yesterday's Apple event announcing this year's changes to the iPod line up, I went to the Apple store and immediately bought a refurbished 2GB iPod shuffle 2G, which comes with the same warranty as their new models. Alas, this is probably the end of the line for the 2G.

Here's hoping Apple will come to its senses and release a 2Gng!

Update 2009/09/11: I see here that Apple is aware of criticisms of its new design, saying that:
Answering critics of the previous iPod shuffle design which moved the shuffle control on to the cord, Apple says that it’s working with third-party headphone makers to integrate the controls into their designs as well, and that adapters are also available with more on the way.
But I don't really want a dedicated headphone solution - I want a button on the iPod. Bring back the 2G!

No comments:

Post a Comment